Talking about . . . what's next after the election?
The presidential election brought attention to our political system…and our differences. Now we need to restore relationships around our shared hopes and dreams and get our country focused on the work of governing. But how exactly will we do this? This conversation allows us to start exploring ‘what’s next?’. Whether we feel elated or defeated, whatever our differences - let's insist on finding the deeper unities we can rest upon and defend. Generosity. Goodness. Kindness. Freedom. Respect.
Click here if you would like a pdf of the following topic material to share with your cohost and friends.
. . . .
Background reading (optional)
While you don't need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic.
. . . .
Want to listen to an actual Living Room Conversation?
We have many podcasts and videos of actual Living Room Conversations, on many topics. Click HERE to listen or view.
. . . .
Now that you are all together, here we go!
This Living Room Conversation flows through five rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Before you begin your conversation, please go over the Conversation Ground Rules with your participants.
. . . .
One. Why are we here?
What interested you or drew you to this topic?
Two. Your core values
- what sense of purpose or duty guides you in life? What is your mission statement?
- what would your best friend say about who you are and what makes you tick?
- what are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country, now and long-term?
Three. What are your biggest concerns now?
Remember that the goal of this Living Room Conversation is for each participant to listen to and learn about the different opinions within the group to see where you might share interests, intentions and goals.
- How do you feel and what do you think about the election, now that it’s over?
- Have any of your close relationships been harmed due to politics this year? What happened?
- How open are you and your friends to hearing different perspectives to reach a shared goal?
- Will you reach out to repair relationships that have been harmed? What will you do first?
- What would you like our elected representatives to work on first?
- in one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation;
- what new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
Five. Accomplishment and moving forward
- name one important thing that was accomplished here;
- is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?
Thank you! Please complete the feedback form to help us continue to improve Living Room Conversations.